[OM] Re: Some of my last OM photos :-(

Subject: [OM] Re: Some of my last OM photos :-(
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 19:31:05 -0700
Well, I'm not convinced that autofocus is -totally- necessary, but if I have
to use it I at least want it to be a fast system. I've collected several
examples of autofocus, going back to early 1980's point-and-shoot systems,
through more modern P&S, early and late digicams, the first Minolta Maxxum
7000 as well as a later Maxxum, and a couple of Canon EOS-IX with USM
lenses. The faster the autofocus system the more satisfactory I have
experienced it.

However, I have also had good images result from using my OM's in 'active
focusing' mode for portraits, as well as good success using OM's with
pre-focused telephotos for fast moving motorcycle racing images. Unless the
AF system is *very* fast, for motorcycle pictures -in my opinion-
pre-focusing in manual mode will bring better results. It also avoids
exposure delay due to setting the focus, which varys by make but can  be
several tenths of a second in some cameras... not much good for fast moving
subjects.

If you really want to try some fast portraits try a prefocused setup with a
Leica M, shutter lag of about 0.020 seconds... and you can watch the
expression through the exposure. No autofocus, though.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...