[OM] Re: FS: non OM gears

Subject: [OM] Re: FS: non OM gears
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 18:51:10 +0800
Yeah! I started to feel the limitation of C*non digital, it doesn't provide
me the things I need. Andrew has asked why I wanted to switch and I told
him:

The problem I faced with the 10D is lacking good usable lenses, you may
think I must be crazy, Canon are having lots of lenses, that seems true but
actually not. I once have a 17-40, it is a ok lens but the problem is the
range and aperture, will you happy with a lens of 28-64/F4 at over US$600?
How about the 16-35/2.8? But the cost can almost buy a E-1 body and still a
26-56/2.8 and suffer from poor edges performance. I expected the E-1 with a
"standard" 14-54/2.8-3.5 can solve all the problems.

The 11-22 is also a good lens, if you don't like the range Olympus also
promised some new one. The Canon lenses constructions are not so rigid in
feel even the 17-40 or 16-35. The longer zoom like 70-200 is good but size
is too big, the Zuiko 50-200 will beat it hands down. What I missed will be
the higher center resolution of 10D. I'm not sure how the E-1 compare with
10D in the edges performance but I will find it out when I got a E-1, it all
depends on the price of E-1 here in Hong Kong, if the standard set drop to
the price of 10D body I will get one.

The form factor of E-1 is also much better than 10D, I missed the E-10 a
lot, it feel better on my hand. One more reason I consider the E-1 is
PhaseOne C1 DLSR will support E-1 in the coming version, it is a great
software, without it the 10D is not usable to me, the JPEG is poor and its
own RAW convertor is very very slow to use. I expect the E-1 will have
better JPEG quality but RAW will still make a big different!

Regards,
C.H.Ling