[OM] Re: Okay, let's talk about film ........

Subject: [OM] Re: Okay, let's talk about film ........
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 02:43:59 -0700
ybarbaroux@xxxxxxx wrote:

>1 )  Does somebody can explain why  you mainly use color slide instead
>of color negative even
>     if you are not professionals whose work is going to be printed ?
>     I cannot find  an argument for that choice in terms of cost ,
>quality and ease of use since the
>      scanner made it so easy to work with negatives.
>      Are you looking to dificulty as a bonus ?

I can't answer this, as I switched to negative film for all but
specialized use some time ago.

>2 ) Here in France Olympus was never a best seller and information and
>support are scare,
>      I 'm looking for batteries 1,35 V for OM1N and have just found a
>dealer in USA but infortunately
>      my mail to him was undelivered
>      DO you know this product and does it work ? Here is His site :

The Wein cells do work, but aren't a very good solution for casual use.
The problem is that they are activated by exposure to air and start to
age immediately, whether actually being used or not and don't last very
long. They are not the same as the original mercury cells, which are no
longer manufactured for environmental reasons.

>3 ) I tried before a C.R.I.S.S adapter with SR44 in my 2 bodies of OM1
>and they dont work, the cell becomme erratic with them ! (I
>    know indeed that the cells are working right with old mercury
>batteries )
>     Is it the adapter I received which is not good or am I doinng

The C.R.I.S. MR9 adapters do work for many folks. If you have a newer
one, it is supposed to use a 386/SR43 battery, not a 357/SR44. The 386
is 1.2mm thinner than the 357. So the new MR9 with a 357 in it is 1.2mm,
or about 20%, thicker than the original 625 battery. Trying to fit that
extra thickness into the battery compartment of an OM-1(n) can lead to
unpredictable results as it presses the bottom contact down too flat
and/or doesn't allow the cover to screw all the way in. Use of too thick
a battery might also damage the adapter itself. I see that the adapter
has space between the interior bottom and the exterior bottom. If there
are components in that space, and there is certainly something there,
screwing the battery compartment lid on tight might smash something in
the adapter. Total thickness of adapter and battery should be about
5.8mm, certainly no more than 6.1mm, so the cap can bottom in its
threads without putting excessive pressure on the battery/adapter
combination.  Also, be sure you put the battery into the adapter the
right way!

The other alternative is to have the camera modified to use a 357
battery without MR9 adapter. This is a fairly simple operation for a
repair person and is included in a CLA by some repair shops. There are
also instructions on the web.

Moose