[OM] Re: Okay, let's talk about film ........and batteries

Subject: [OM] Re: Okay, let's talk about film ........and batteries
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 17:04:57 -0300

> Le 3 mai 04, à 13:05, Wayne Culberson a écrit :
> > I have rebuilt one of my Olympus 35rc's over to use 1.5v batteries,
> > which is
> > essentially what the CRIS adapter does. It does not read erratic, but
> > neither does it read the same as with a mercury battery. I will likely
> > build
> > it back, and then use the several mercury batteries I recently
> > happened on
> > to. When they are gone, and if I'm still alive, I'll use common and
> > cheap1.4v hearing aid batteries. The wein cells are too expensive.
> >
> > Wayne
>
> > Do these 1,4V batteries fit in the OM and if so could you give me
> > accurates references of them?
>
>     yves

The hearing aid batteries I'm referring to are zinc air cells, and are 1.4
volt. They are about the same thickness as the mercury battery, so yes, they
do fit, sort of. They are smaller in diameter, more the size of 357's, so
you will have to make a spacer out of some non-conductive material to keep
them centered in the battery compartment. This can be an O ring, or a piece
of foam, or something as basic as a small strip of cardboard cut from a
cereal box. It is not difficult, just look at how loose the battery fits in
the camera, and fit something around it to keep it centered. The downside
is, air cells only last a month or two after you remove the sticker covering
the air holes. The postive side is, 1.4 volt air cells quickly level out at
about 1.2 volts, the same as the mercury batteries do. When the air cells
fail, as they will in a month or two, you get severe over-exposure readings.
Wayne