[OM] Re: CLA

Subject: [OM] Re: CLA
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:25:39 EDT
Jim,
Unless you contact Olympus for the lens cap, (and you'll probably pay thru
the nose) any 62mm cap with side clips should suffice.

As far as your OM-4Ti is concerned, it shouldn't need an adjustment so soon
after a CLA, IMO. You should take identical shots with the other camera body
that gives you the different reading, only then will you know if it is off or
not. Don't forget- the pre-shot meter reading may not be what is actually shot,
the actual exposure is determined during exposure. Each camera could
theoretically, be off 1/3 of a stop, but that will be enough to give you what
_seemingly_ is a 1-stop different indication, wheras, each camera may only be
1/3 off
from what is correct. Anyway, most times my camera's shutter speed LCD bar
indicator doesn't stay rock solid on one speed- say 1/60th. It's usually
jumping
back and forth from 1/60th to what 1/90th would be. You also have to take into
consideration the question -Is each camera that you're using meter pattern
and/or meter area exactly the same?

My own -4Ti purchased off ebay, was, according to the seller, -and I have no
evidence to suggest he's lying; stored in a camera bag for 10-12 years. I
brought it into Essex Camera Service and asked them to do a CLA. The technician
took it from me, did an examination, (I don't know if he was checking the
meter,
but he did look thru it and focus on something in the shop),and promptly
handed it back to me saying: "Save your money, camera not yet need service."

George S.

jamesfc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I'm curious as to how often most of you have your cameras checked over.  I
have an OM4Ti that had a CLA about 2 1/2 years ago by John, but I just
noted that it appears to be reading about 1 stop over.  I haven't checked
it via a meter, but rather based upon my 'rule of thumb' that on a bright
cloudless day at noon, the exposure should be the reciprocal of the film
speed at f/16 (that is 1/125th sec @ f/16 in my case).  I checked the
exposure with another camera and the same lens and came up exactly with
this EV, but my OM4Ti reads 1/60th sec @ f/16. Since I shoot a lot of slide
film, 1 stop is quite significant!

Also, does anyone know where I can get a replacement Olympus lenscap for an
E10/20 digital?  I seemed to have misplaced mine!

Jim Caldwell