[OM] Re: A tiny bit of list history and where we go from here.

Subject: [OM] Re: A tiny bit of list history and where we go from here.
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 07:53:50 +1000
AG-Schnozz wrote -
>If you are looking for a purely technical list, this isn't it.
>It was, for maybe a year, but that changed due to two factors:
>No new products from Olympus, and the recognition that the OM
>system attracted very unique personalities.

Or creates them - every time I join I end up buying a poultice of OM
gear. Eventually I'll need therapy. Is this because of a need to
belong? Prolly.

>There is a profile of the "average" OM user:
>1. Prefer Functionality over Functions (sounds like an article)

Yup - hate the triumph of form over function.

>2. Like sports cars, such as RX-7s, Lotus's, Triumphs, MGB's.

Er, 'spose so but only old ones or Morgans really.

>3. Real job is something other than photography

You call what I get paid for a REAL job?

>4. Either owns an SUV or secretly desires one (ahem)

Guilty, but an old one.

>5. Dislikes both Bush and Kerry (double ahem)

Who? You being amerkocentric here?

>6. Has or wants a Leica Rangefinder camera.

Does a Voigtlander kit count?

>7. Has a real life.

There you go being 'real' again. 'Reality' is a sham, a shadow, a
mutable amalgam of intangibles and we're trying to photograph it in a
vain attempt to lock in some few moments of the whole bewildering
torrent. Great. That's where we go. Burn film and prosper.
AndrewF
--
http://www.pbase.com/afildes