[OM] Re: A tiny bit of list history and where we go from here.

Subject: [OM] Re: A tiny bit of list history and where we go from here.
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 19:52:35 +0100
AG Schnozz wrote "A tiny bit of list history and where we go from here"

<Sound of hearty applause from this direction>

Good post, and pretty much exactly how I feel.  This list has grown way
beyond purely OM subjects, even way beyond Olympus subjects, and I like
it that way. (I would add, however, that I don't own an SUV nor do I
lust after one !)

I've suggested it before, and I'll suggest it again.  An accepted and
agreed series of prefixes for the subject lines (and the self-discipline
for us all to stick to them !) would I'm sure help to pacify those who
are only interested in the purely OM subjects.  As has been mentioned,
simple rules can be set up in most email programs.  I have done this to
direct my OM mails to a separate folder.  I also have several
sub-folders for different areas of discussion (Digital Cams / Scanning /
Lenses / Bodies ... etc).  If pre-defined prefixes were agreed to, then
this level of sorting could be automatic and hopefully keep everyone
happy.

Everyone here is here for different reasons.  Some of us want the pure
technical OM stuff, some of us just want a chat with friends after a
hard day.  I think I fall somewhere inbetween.  It doesn't really
matter, though, that we all want slightly different things from the list
- this is exactly what makes it such a great online place to hang out.

On 2 occasions now I have had the pleasure to meet up with other OM
listees and wander around London taking pictures and having a pint /
food.  I don't think I'd do that with anyone from any of the other lists
I frequent.  There's something special about this place.  If we try and
figure what it is that makes this list what it is, however, I fear we
are in danger of destroying it.

Just my two-pence/cents/wibbles/-worth

Jon