[OM] [OT] Swiffer [was Dust...]

Subject: [OM] [OT] Swiffer [was Dust...]
From: "Michael R. Collins" <michael789@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:36:08 -0500
>I have experimented recently with using "Swiffer Dusters"

There is a new-ish companion product called Swiffer Wet, that offers
"pre-soaked cloths [that] easily remove light dirt on your floors
without rinsing." General category: solution in search of a problem.
OM content: clearly these are not for cleaning film shot in OM
cameras...

Now the interesting part. The DIRECTIONS FOR USE on the Swiffer Wet
package begin as follows: "(for U.S. only): It is in violation of
U.S. federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with
its labeling." There is no similar caution for Canadians and
Mexicans, presumably due to the laxness of the legal systems in those
NAFTA countries.

So: what U.S. federal law is this? And what "inconsistent" uses would
constitute violations? And the penalty for such violations? Enquiring
minds want to know...

The P&G customer service number on the package is (800) 214-8734. It
is geographically routed, so when I call in Canada I get a Canadian
CSR who can't answer my "American" questions. Perhaps one of you, as
a concerned American house-cleaner (or, if you're not, perhaps you
know of one within a 50-mile radius), could see what information they
are willing to divulge. Just don't run afoul of the Department of
Homeland Cleanliness.

Michael
--
Michael R. Collins  ...  Michael.Collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx