[OM] Re: Dust...

Subject: [OM] Re: Dust...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:14:36 -0500
I have experimented recently with using "Swiffer Dusters" to remove dust
from film before scanning.  The Swiffer Duster is about 7x4.5 inches and
consists of a thick layer of very thin, light blue fibers sandwiched
between two layers of a white, cloth-like material. The sandwich is
meant to be stuck onto a plastic handle (included in the box) for use as
a dusting brush.  Dust sticks to the blue fibers like a magnet.  I think
the cloth-like layers are to protect the fine, inner fibers from
abrasion when sweeping like a brush.

I cut them into many smaller pieces and then cut off the outer cloth
layer to fully expose the blue fibers.  If you drag this very lightly
over a piece of film it will remove all the dust like magic.

What I don't know is what these blue fibers might be coated with and
whether it might somehow damage film in the long run.  Nowhere does it
say;  "Caution: Eats holes in photographic emulsions."  I've been
meaning to write the company (Proctor & Gamble) to ask but keep forgetting.

I can find Swiffer Dusters in any supermarket here (package of 5 for USD
4.29) and, since it's a Proctor & Gamble product, I assume it is
available throughout the US and Canada since P&G have facilities in both
countries.

Chuck Norcutt