[OM] Re: 35-80/2.8 hood as filter holder

Subject: [OM] Re: 35-80/2.8 hood as filter holder
From: Duncan Paterson <paterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 21:56:37 +0100
At 19:38 02.03.04, you wrote:

>Hoya makes, and I use, what they call a "Multi Lens Hood."  It's
>rubber; it screws into the filter, and it collapses (or extends,
>depending on where you start from) into one of three pre-set
>positions: (using their nomenclature) "wide-angle,"  "standard,"
>and "long tele, zoom."

I have one of these Hoya multi lens hoods with a 49mm thread and it works
well but if I was using it on a zoom in situations where I had to quickly
change back and forth between focal lengths I don't think I would change
the hood position each time. The Hoya is a lot less flimsy than similar
designs from other manufacturers which tend to bow out of shape very
easily. I haven't seen one with a 62mm thread (or 72mm for that matter) but
I guess they exist?

>Consider also that your geunine Zuiko tulip hood is really
>effective only at 35mm.  The further you zoom out (or in, again
>depending on how you look at it), the less it's worth.  At 80mm,
>it's pretty much useless.

That's true. Fortunately the contrast obtained with this zoom is very good.
I did wonder why Olympus didn't incorporate the clever hood design of the
35-70/3.6 into the 35-80/2.8, supposedly a no compromise design; although
this type of variable hood requires that maximum barrel extension occurs at
the shortest focal length which is the converse of the design of the 35-80.
Perhaps I've answered my own question.

As far as I can see, most modern zooms are sold with fixed hoods, even
those which cover a much wider range of focal lengths than the 35-80. Are
good hoods less important now that the multi-coatings on lens elements have
reached such a high quality?

Cheers,
Duncan.