[OM] Re: 35-80/2.8 hood as filter holder

Subject: [OM] Re: 35-80/2.8 hood as filter holder
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 17:33:35 -0800
paterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

><big snip>
>As far as I can see, most modern zooms are sold with fixed hoods, even
>those which cover a much wider range of focal lengths than the 35-80. Are
>good hoods less important now that the multi-coatings on lens elements have
>reached such a high quality?

Sure, good MC helps, but a good hood still makes a significant
difference. I suspect the situation is that the optical designs that
work well and are efficient to manufacture just don't lend themselves to
a variable angle hood design. Since they don't have a good solution,
they don't talk about the problem. A well placed hand, hat, event
program, etc. can still really improve contrast at a lot of light
angles. If you are shooting with the sun at your back, it's all good.

Moose