[OM] Re: 35-80/2.8 hood as filter holder

Subject: [OM] Re: 35-80/2.8 hood as filter holder
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 17:25:17 -0800
hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Hoya makes, and I use, what they call a "Multi Lens Hood."  It's
>rubber; it screws into the filter, and it collapses (or extends,
>depending on where you start from) into one of three pre-set
>positions: (using their nomenclature) "wide-angle,"  "standard,"
>and "long tele, zoom."

Yeah, I like them too

>Consider also that your geunine Zuiko tulip hood is really
>effective only at 35mm.  The further you zoom out (or in, again
>depending on how you look at it), the less it's worth.  At 80mm,
>it's pretty much useless.

Exactly. Only the Zuiko 35-70/3.6 with slip-on hood and a version of the
Tamron 70-210 beat this problem in their design. The Tokina RMC 28-70/4
moves its front element back about 14mm from the filter threads as it
zooms from 28 to 70 mm (then back forward a bit to 80mm). So it also
provides some built-in hood angle adjustment as it zooms.

Moose