[OM] Re: Camera Bags

Subject: [OM] Re: Camera Bags
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 01:56:14 -0800
Your specs for the question didn't fit my needs in a bag or any bags I
have, so what was there to say? I could say that I would mever carry
that much stuff around with me except to get it somewhere to unpack it
and select the gear for immediate use. But that wouldn't have seemed
very positively responsive to the question you asked.

gordross@xxxxxxx wrote:

>I am a little amazed that there were not more opinions on this thread, and
>would still like to hear what everyone is using.

I most use a LowePro Photorunner, which is rather small and has both
shoulder strap and fanny/stomach pack strap. The top opens up wide with
dual zippers on a single pull for excellent access. I just can't fathom
fanny designs with a top that folds back towards one's body, can't get
at things and they can fall out easily. The bag holds 1 body with up to
a 35-200mm lens, one long or 2 short lenses in one end, a
shortish/fattish lens in the other, with a space left over for a few
hoods, filters and a side pouch for film, manuals, batteries, etc.
Actually, the interior partitions are movable, so that's just my setup.
A second body with another lens is often along outside the bag.  I think
a 300/4.5 would fit in it without the partitions, but not much else.

I also have a semi-rigid, padded bag shaped like the cooler bag somebody
mentioned, but with lots of reconfigureable interior partitions, but
have only used it to carry a lot of stuff from one place to another, not
to carry around with me while photographing, too heavy and awkward. Even
that function is beng supplanted by just what George S. suggested. Last
couple of long trips, I've used a medium carry-on bag with both pull-out
handle and wheels and back pack straps to carry the camera gear and the
PhotoRunner for use at the destination. As those across the ond might
say "Works a treat!". I also have a couple of no-name modest sized bags
I can put some extra goodies in for the odd car trip, etc.

Moose