[OM] Re: Camera Bags

Subject: [OM] Re: Camera Bags
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 18:46:27 -0500
Cc: gordross@xxxxxxx
Construction: The Billingham's are better made, with a tight weave cotton and
weatherproof seams.

Configurability - similar, but the Billingham probably wins due to the
velcro-movable partitions.

Usability - Domke wins in my book as the tops flop open completely and the
contents are very easy to access.  The cordura-covered partitions, although not
infinitly movable, are available in a wide variety of sizes which will fit
almost all the Domke bags, excepting the F6, which uses shorter inserts.

I bought my Billinghams from Robert White in the UK, shipped to the US.  They
were far cheaper than anywhere in the U.S.  Again, as I mentioned, I really
like the new black-on-black models.  The ones with brown leather trim just look
too fancy for me.  I have a Hadley Pro with the handle, which I highly
recommmend.  FYI, that bag isn't really thick enough for an OM+MD2+90/2,
whereas the Domke F2 is a much "squarer" bag.  The 306 (14x8x6) is a much
closer fit to the F2 (12x6.5x9) or the F7 (14x7x11),  Looking at those two, I
like the 306's  squat features and press top.

BTW, I've had a Domke F2 in dirt brown since the late 70's and it's in great
shape.  Almost indestructable.  I'd highly recommend getting an F2, even a beat
up one, to try out.  You can't go wrong.  You might also think about getting
the Billingham and getting an F6, which is the same cross section as the F2,
but 2" shorter.  This bag gets 3-4x as much use than any other that I have (and
I have about 12 different bags).  Right now, it's got a Hassy Xpan, Leica
M7/Motor, and 6 lenses for the Leica, + film.  It would easily handle two OM
bodies and 4-6 lenses, but not the 300.

Skip