Re: [OM] Zuiko 55mm question

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 55mm question
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 11:23:26 +0100
I have a 21mm/3.5 bought on *Bay, that turned out to have a mass of small
black flecks. They seemed to be on the lens emelent surfaces closest to the
diaphragm, and my local Olympus repairer said that he was sure that they
were graphite specks that had migrated from the diaphragm mechanism.
Evidently a 'quick and dirty' fix for oil on diaphragm blades is graphite,
which dries up the oil. However, if too much is used, it can migrate.

Has anyone else heard a similar explanation.

My lens is soon headed for a 'proper' CLA, by the way.

Regards/Mvh.,
Roger Key

Andrew wrote:

Erk! Nasty. I'll add that one to the optical mycology file! They would form
circles, lines or arcs spaced out like that because it's a growth pattern -
like 'fairy-rings' of toadstools. Starts with one in the middle which dies
and a ring or arc of offspring grow which die in their turn. A wave
pattern.
AndrewF

      I'm aware of that. I have never seen anything like this. These specks
      were all uniform in size, the only thing I can describe them as is
      looking just like a sperm cell, only black. They all "pointed" in the
      same direction, with a thin "tail' . It was almost like they were all
      arranged in rows, but they did not form a solid line anywhere.

      If the head guy at Essex (I forget his name) said they were fungi, I
      believe him. he's been nothing but totally honest with me for years.
      I handed him this 55mm lens and an 85/2 which has lots of internal
      dust and a bit of haze and a very tight, dirty feeling aperture ring,
      AND an OM-4T with a request to CLA all 3 items, and he told me what
      the lenses needed, and gave my OM-4T a very quick look and handed it
      back to me, telling me to save my money for a while, it didn't yet
      need a CLA. Typical of how he's been to me and others that i know
      have walked in with a problem.

      George S.

      afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
            Black specks are usually paint flecks from deteriorating lens
            element edge coatings and quite harmless. But annoying and
            worth removing. White soft spots are scary fungii.
            AndrewF