Re: [OM] Home alone, trying to TOPE

Subject: Re: [OM] Home alone, trying to TOPE
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 08:54:10 -0800 (PST)
Jim wrote:
>>Where's Schnozz hawking Dixie's??

Hey, I'm on the "digest".  Takes a while to respond to these
threads.

Frankly, I've given up trying to convince you mortals about the
fine dining experience of Dixie's BBQ.  If you can't, just once,
haul your behinds to Bellevue and check out "The Man" it's no
longer worth my effort.  You aren't worthy.

Other BBQ of note:  US-31 BBQ in Muskegon Michigan.  And of
course, my own kitchen!!!!  The chain "Dave's" is actually
pretty respectable.

Somebody mention chili?  Hmmmm.  Hey, peppers are veggies.
Right?

I wholeheartily agree with Walt on the meat preference.  Except
for brisket, beef isn't the best BBQ meat.  When cooking your
pork ribs, it is very important to cook it with chicken.  Place
the meat so that the juices kinda combine and drip on each
other.  The sum is greater than the parts.  The chicken juices
absolutely improve the ribs.  As far as I'm concerned, the
chicken is disposable, but it is extremely tasty too.  NEVER
cook pork ribs without chicken.

Goat and Lamb do OK on the BBQ, but it is extremely important
that the spicing be adapted for it.  I have a recipe for BBQ'd
lamb that is to die for.  Haven't been able to buy good lamb for
five years now, but I'm hanging in there waiting to do it again.
 (requires about $20 worth of spices for a couple pounds of
meat)  Goat is another meat that needs chicken to improve.  The
basting is what makes goat edible.  Another factor is that goat
is oily.  Adapting the cooking method and proper basting will
cure that.  You've got to draw the oils out.

What really rocks is smoking a turkey.  Put the turkey on the
lower rack and pork ribs on the top rack (preferably with a
couple chicken quarters).  When cooked, you are very hard
pressed to identify the turkey apart from ham.  The ribs turn
out pretty good, too.

BBQ sauce is the reason to eat BBQ, though.  I prefer "wet"
ribs.  I baste the pork for at least a day before cooking in a
special concoction of fluids and spices.  I dry cook the ribs
for 1/2 of the time (making sure that they truely are
cooked--about two hours), then I dunk them in sauce and place
them back on the grill for the second half (hour and a half to
two hours).  After the initial dunking, I brush the sauce on
them after every turn (five-ten minutes per side).  My sauce is
heavy in the honey department (sugur burns, honey doesn't) so
that it forms a nice gummy coating to the ribs.  However, it
ain't just "sweet".  My sauce addresses each and every taste bud
in the mouth.  Hot?  Well, let's just say that uncooked, the
sauce will drop you to your knees, but once cooked onto the ribs
it's just right.  Finally, take the ribs, place them in a
roasting pan, cover and bake for 20-30 minutes. This additional
moist heat will cause the meat to drop right off the bones.

I get the best results cooking my ribs on a grill instead of the
smoker.  My gas grill (easier than charcoal) has two levels and
I only use the bottom level during the initial cooking phase as
flareup will burn everything later on.  One concession to
tradition, though, is that I toss a couple hunks of hickory on
top of the rocks.

I've traditionally done a batch of ribs right before Christmas
for the office party.  20 pounds of ribs will disappear faster
than anything.  Even the vegatarians risk falling off the wagon
when I bring these hunks-o-meat in.  (stinks up the whole place,
though) As soon as I figure out how to make G&L Chili dogs, I'm
going to open a Chili/BBQ/Hotdog joint.  (I'm getting closer to
reverse-engineering the G&L's--just need a couple more trips
back to Michigan).

Remember, it ain't BBQ sauce if you don't need to chew it.
Runny, wannabe garbage need not apply.

I suggest that the next TOPE be BBQ.

Smokey-Schnozz