Re: [OM] Playing with an E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] Playing with an E-1
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:22:42 -0800
-

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 14:42:58 -0500
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The noise is annoying, but you're absolutely right - software can take
care of it - and shooting film at high iso's it is also a problem.=20

The noise issue is secondary, IMO.  If I buy, it will be because of
handling, lens quailty, and image quality.  The
higher-than-the-competition-from-C*NON noise can be compensated for by
software processing.  We've all dealt with grain in the past, it's no
different than noise.  I don't shoot at high ISO's much, so the issue
may be minor.  The C*anon CMOS chips definitely have lower noise at the
higher ISO's, which is a big plug for them.

OTOH, I am probably just talking myself into something. :-)

Skip
Skip and BD,

For the most part I completely agree as I usually shoot ISO100 or 200, but...there are times when I have shot at ISO 800 for a sunset, and noise can be an issue there...the gradient of color in a sky at sunset can look pixellated or grainy. What you'll find working with a D-SLR is that when the light falls off, the noise goes up as a result of longer exposure times, even at lower ISOs with very good sensors like D60 or 10D CMOS. Take a look at this shot of the Bay Area from the East Bay hills to see what I am referring to: http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=617516

I know there are ways to deal with this in software, e.g Fred Miranda or Digital GEM, but the less software has to do post-processing the better. I know this first hand as I wish I didn't have to deal with the greenish casts of 1D JPEGs, but I do. As Skip has pointed out. the CMOS chips really have it over the CCDs in this regard.
-Stephen.
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!