[OM] Playing with an E-1

Subject: [OM] Playing with an E-1
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:43:21 -0800
Cc: scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Gang,
I was in Looking Glass at Berkeley today get buy another blower bulb for blowing dust off the CCD of my 1D today, and noticed the new E-1 on the shelf. I grabbed a CF card from the briefcase, and took some frames with it which I will post a link to later today. The photos will just be snapshots, as I could only take the camera out the door of the store and shoot on the street in front.

First impressions:

Beautiful build quality, very nice weight and feel to the camera. The dial at the top has an interlock which you must press to go from Manual to Aperture or Shutter or Program priority modes. The shutter button fell to place nicely and had a nice feel. The shutter sound is quiet but discernable. The door to the CF compartment is nicely sealed, and has a nice positive lock on it and the door works smoothly. The 14-55 (I'm pretty sure that's what it was) lens reminded me of my C*n*n 28-135, smaller, but similar high quality,with a somewhat plasticky feel. I think the lens barrel is plastic, but I may be wrong. The inner barrel that racks out feels like plastic, anyway....

Firing it up, the camera boots up very quickly, as fast as a Canon 1D. Shooting in aperture priority inside the store, the camera has quite a bit of trouble autofocussing in room light that is somewhat low, but not what I would call dim. The lens would rack in and out a no. of times trying to find focus. It eventually did, but it took a while. By contrast, my 1D locks focus almost immediately in a room with considerably less light. Outside, things were better, the camera found focus pretty quickly on stationary objects. I took some panning photos of cars just going 25-35 mph down Telegraph Avenue, and as you will see in the photo when I post them, the camera had trouble focussing on some of them.This reminds me of the autofocus behavior of E-10s, where you need to trap focus manually to nail anything moving, even fairly slowly. The other thing notable in the few minutes that I used the camera was that the write times from the capture buffer to the card were *really* slow...I was using a Professional grade 24X Lexar CF card; not the fastest card I own, but no slouch, either, and the time I had to wait for the camera's red light to stop writing data to the card was notable. Again, this reminds me of E-10 and E-20 behavior. I used this card in my D60 and 1D, and it gets written to way faster than the E-1 does. Also, there sometimes seemed to be a notable shutter lag when depressing the shutter even after focus-lock, like the camera was still trying to figure out what to do...I found this surprising given how fast the E-10 and E-20 shutter releases are. Lastly, there is also a notable lag on the image review LCD after shooting a frame. I can only think once again, this is due to slow I/O from the card to the camera. As the C*n*n 10D is this camera major competition, a comparison is worth mentioning. While the build quality and heft and feel of the E-1 is possibly a touch nicer than the 10D, the E-1 doesn't have the autofocus accuracy, autofocus speed, buffer to card write speed, image review speed or as good a controls interface as the 10D. Or for that matter, the resolution and image quality advantages of a CMOS sensor. Overall, it's a nice camera, but at a price higher than a C*n*n 10D, all I can say is that C*n*n has nothing to worry about.

I will post photos a bit later today, and post a message here with the link.

-Stephen.
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!