Re: [OM] Bangor, North Wales

Subject: Re: [OM] Bangor, North Wales
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 16:50:33 +0000
If we're going back that far... ;-)

RAF Valley, from where the RAF provide their budding fighter pilots with advanced flying training in Hawks, is about 30 minutes' drive from Bangor, on the island of Anglesey; fighters are based there for there missile practices in Cardigan Bay to the south so there is plenty of scope for aircraft photography. In addition, Snowdonia is a great place to fly in the valleys and on a fine day you will find many aircraft whose pilots are having fun (sorry, I mean carrying out essential training) at low level.

The scenery is lovely; certainly the mountains are less than 4,000feet above sea level, but they have their own majesty. There are plenty of opportunities to catch places you would wish to photograph in the National Park and on the coast. Anglesey has its own nature reserves and boat trips around the island are worth doing; my first trip around Anglesey was in a Hawk on my first solo at 550knots (the airspeed indicator did not go higher ;-)) in May 1977. In Summer the beaches of Anglesey are fine, and ferries ply the route across the Irish Sea from Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire near Dublin (or used to).

Chris