Re: [OM] [OT] A New EB*Y Twist

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] A New EB*Y Twist
From: "Daniel Sepke" <fred42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 11:28:10 -0500
In the US it is illegal is some states (most notably CA) to charge credit
card surcharges. This law I believe applicable to all payment surcharges. So
you can't do it for Paypal fees. I have discovered it is also not acceptable
to charge less for MO/check payment than for Paypal (advertised as a
discount on the first two types of payment).

However this only applies to the US (and possibly other countries that have
similar law). The UK for instance does not have it and it acceptable to have
the line about 4% to cover paypal fees. It must be quoted up front though I
think.

To me it sounds like the request after payment has been sent is attempting
to get round the eBay rules. Ebay DO search listings for surcharging (in
addition to taking user reports), I know as I have had listings ended prior
to my current status of enlightenment.

HTH

Dan S