Re: [OM] [OT] A New EB*Y Twist

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] A New EB*Y Twist
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 11:29:50 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, James N. McBride wrote:

> I was informed by EB*AY that it is against the law to do that with credit
> card fees (before or after the fact) but am not sure what their position is
> with PayPal fees. Asking for it after the fact is a bad practice and they
> should be told "no".

They only allow it in certain countries, and even then they only do it because
the law forces them too.  They obviously want people to use PayPal and they'll
do everything they can to promote it, even if it screws the sellers.  I've had
auctions terminated by eBay because I mentioned that I wanted the buyer to pay
the PayPal fees.  Now I just mention that PayPal payments have additional
terms and conditions and to email me about the details. It seems to keep
eBay happy and I can pass the costs on to the buyer if they choose to use
PayPal.
                                -mark