Re: [OM] Playing with an E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] Playing with an E-1
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 10:34:49 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
Cc: scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jim,

Yeah, the 1D green cast. Urg. I am told it is only on JPEGs, but there has been
a lot of discussion about it on the C*n*n forums at DPReview and Rob Galbraith.
My understanding is that it is not in RAW images. The guys I shoot motorsports
with (D&W Images) use 1D's also, and from the day I met them I have noticed a
green cast to their Olympus P400 prints and in their JPEGs when revieiwing
images on the computer. Mind you, reviewing images on on a non-color calibrated
laptop TFT screen  is asking for trouble in of itself-laptop screens are
generally cr*p at this because of their screen quality is so poor and they have
such severe off-axis color shifts. I kept harping on them that they need to get
their color management act together, and I kept getting "What are you talking
about? What green cast?" responses. Last week I sat one of them down with one
of their images and said, "This image has a really noticeable green cast to
it." So, I took him through my "workflow" (there's that word again) of
establishing highlight points, shadow points, and hitting dead-nuts neutrals in
the midtones with the Curves command in Photoshop 7, and made the photo
completely neutral (that is, neutral by the only thing truly meaningful, the
R/G/B numbers). I them showed him the original and corrected image side by side
on my Eye-One calibrated monitor at work. He was amazed at the difference.
*Now* he knows what I am talking about. C*n*n only kind of acknowledges the
camera does this. They say if you make a custom white balance for the
conditions you are shooting for, there will be no green cast. They are probably
right, but sometimes its tough to shoot a white card in all conditions and
lighting every different corner of the racetrack all through the day,
especially when you need to hump it back as fast as possible to the media
center to shoot post-race interviews from the Corkscrew! There is someone on
Rob Galbraith that has a custom R/G/B setting that you can program in the
custom functions of the camera that can reduce it, but it probably is not
perfect under all lighting conditions.

Here is an example of what I am talking about. This was shot a 1/1/60th of a
second at f/19.9 with a C*n*n 1D and 70-200/2.8 L IS. The first shot not has a
green cast, but is underexposed a full stop if you look at the histogram. The
photographer obviously did not do a histogram check to set his exposure
properly prior to shooting (One of the real advantages of shooting digital is
that the histogram view is the most significant improvement in determining
proper exposure since the advent of the light meter).

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/main//DarrickGreenMIke.jpg

Here is the photo with the color correction described above, with a levels
adjust for the underexposure, and a pull in Curves for a subtle midtones
contrast boost done after color correction in the L*ab in the Lightness channel.

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/main//DerrickCorrected.jpg

-Stephen.