Re: [OM] Two questions

Subject: Re: [OM] Two questions
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:36:56 -0500
First question:

Over the weekend, I decided I wanted to shoot with a different
type of film than the 36-exp. roll of Provia 400 I had just loaded
into an OM-4T.  Instead of simply getting an empty body, which
would have taken all of two minutes, I decided just to rewind the
Provia and reload with NPH.  I don't recall ever doing this
before, although I may have and just forgot about it, but I
cranked a bit too zealously and wound the leader completely back
into the cassette.

Yesterday, after dropping off three rolls of NPH at the wrong
place, I paid a visit to the neighborhood camera shop, intending
to get one of those doohickies that extract film leaders from
cassettes.  I was flabbergasted to find that the thing costs
$19.95!  I'll throw away the $7 roll of Provia before I'll pay 20
bucks, plus tax, for something I may never use again.

Is there another way, some ingenious trick, to get the leader back
out?  And if so, I don't want to hear about it if it's more than
$10 worth of trouble.  I've got lots of Provia in the fridge.  And
I suppose I could always go back to the store, hat and film in
hand, and admit I'm incompetent and see if they'll fish it out for
me.

Second question:

In the used camera section, there's a Sinar F2 with a 210/5.6
Schneider Symmar-S.  Both appear to be in excellent condition, and
the asking price for the pair is $995.  I am tempted, particularly
since I already have some pretty good 4x5 lenses that I use with
my 6x9 Graflexes: 65/8 Super Angulon, 90/8 Caltar, and a 150/5.6
Symmar-S.  With these lenses and the 210, that would make a pretty
decent kit for landscape and old, dilapidated building
photography, two of my favorite subjects.

 Anybody got an opinion about this deal?  A bit of hemming and
hawing and haggling may get the price down, or it may not.  I
haven't shot 4x5 in years, and it's really tempting.  While some
are stampeding toward digital, looks like I'm sauntering off in
the opposite direction.  Not too surprising, really.

Oh, and in the bargain bin, there was a metal Olympus lens hood.
If I recall right, it was for a 35/2.8, and it was priced at
$6.95.  If anybody's interested, I'll pick it up for you.

Walt

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists
elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact
us." -- Hobbes