[OM] No Fang, but.....

Subject: [OM] No Fang, but.....
From: "Dean C. Hansen" <hanse112@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 22:37:24 -0800
Hello OMer's,
    Last week I checked our favorite auction site and noticed a "35mm
f2.8 OM macro" lens and 65-116mm auto extension tube (#2963632703).  I
looked at the photo and said "Wait, that's the 38mm f2.8 macro lens."
The BIN was $425.  Condition was "mint, like new."  This is one
desirable lens (I've used one for years), and the auto extension tube is
also a very useful bit of equipment for macro work.  Tom Scales recently
warned about falling  prices on our 35mm Olympus equipment, but this is
a unique lens.  I weighed pros and cons for a couple minutes and then
hit the BIN button.
    Well, the lens arrived today, and it is essentially brand new, as is
the auto extension tube.  And the tube is the later version, with the
scales for the 20, 38, 80, and 135 lenses.
Is the auto extension tube worth $140?  If so, I got the lens for $300.
OK, no Fang, but I'm still glad I got it.  I feel that it's going to be
several years before Olympus or anyone else comes up with the digital
equivalent to this lens, plus the tube (or a bellows) and off-camera
flashes necessary to take shots of small insects, jumping spiders, etc.,
that the 38mm/2.8 can produce.  And for $300.  Doris, are you laughing?
Am I wrong here?
Best wishes,
Dean