Re: [OM] Zuiko lenses on Digital Rebel

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko lenses on Digital Rebel
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 16:07:48 -0800 (PST)
>Perhaps if all the people who are considering "hosting" their
>Zuikos on Canon digital bodies contacted Oly there might be
>some more chance that the elusive OM-E-1 adapter might appear.

Get real!  It has been more than obvious that Olympus isn't at
all interested in listening to us.  They have their "focus
groups" which contain people that are obviously not us.  BD,
maybe, but who else on this list?  And even BD doesn't agree
with us on viewfinders and backward compatibility!

I've spent enough time in sales and marketing to know that we
have our selected "experts" that we listen to and everybody else
is dumb as rocks.  Olympus views us USERS as dumb as rocks.

Maybe we are.  If we were smart, we would have canned our OMs
years ago and gone with real systems such as Nikon and Canon.
Maybe we really are stupid for having held out hope that Olympus
would treat us right and reward us for holding out the way we
have.

This elitist attitude that they have is beyond obnoxious.
Frankly, Olympus does not deserve my business.  I'm in the
market for a new system (been waiting, waiting, waiting for the
right system) and I seriously doubt that Olympus will get my
business.

It makes me furious to think that Olympus had a perfect
opportunity to trump the competiton with a larger viewfinder
image (greater magnification), lens compatibility and even a
larger sensor.  Instead, what we have is another "flavor of the
month" digital camera.  Olympus is extremely weak in the lens
line-up and will remain so for years and years.  There is no way
that Olympus will trump Canon in that department.  Olympus fell
behind and never even bothered to get serious in the autofocus
realm (remember the junk AF cameras they made?).  What makes you
think that their all-in-one wonderlenses will hold up any better
than the IS-series of cameras have?

The last piece of real quality engineering/manufacturing that
Olympus did in the camera industry is the OM-4Ti/3Ti.
Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING since then has been downhill.
They have failed to make a decent viewfinder in ANY camera since
then. (IS system is OK, but not great)  They have failed to make
a decent camera in any flavour since then.  They have failed to
make any real INOVATIONS since then.  The only real difference
between the E-20 and anything else is the X-Sync.  Fly-by-wire
focus ring?  GET REAL!

My challenge to Olympus is to prove WHY I should buy into the
new E-x system?  They have proven to me over and over since 1985
why I should ditch them forever.  I guess I am as dumb as they
think I am.

If there is an Olympus representative on this list, I'd like to
hear from you.  Prove me wrong!  PLEASE, prove me wrong!  As a
pro, I fully expect and am planning to spend many thousands on a
new system over a two-year period of time.  Give me a good
reason to spend that cash in YOUR direction.

So far, Olympus has been hanging it's entire reputation on
"parallel" image alignment from specially designed lenses.  It's
these specially designed lenses covering a much smaller sensor
than a 35mm film image in the E-10/E-20 that still fringe on the
edges.  Sorry.  Try again.  I have a hard time believing that
the old-technology lenses are that much worse when covering the
tiny sensors in the E-1.  There are no new miracles in
lens-technology.

Olympus, you're blowing it.  Olympus America is a true
embarrasement.  It has treated its dealers poorly for almost 20
years now.  No wonder, they have no intentions of carrying the
E-1.  Take a page from Fuji and learn how to treat dealers
right.

So, no.  There is NOTHING we can say or do which will cause
Olympus to listen to us and make an adaptor available.  The
decision has been made.  And we, folks, will remain "dumb as
rocks" to Olympus.

AG-Schnozz