Re: [OM] Kiromania

Subject: Re: [OM] Kiromania
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 11:02:56 -0700
on 10/21/03 1:36 AM, andrew fildes at afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> There's two Oly mount Kiron 28's, a 1.5x AND a 28-85mm 2.8-3.8. Thats
> quite a harvest!
> Related - I just picked up an original Vivitar Series 1 24-48/3.8 in
> Oly mount - this thing is also made by Kiron (22 serial) and is a
> beast - two touch, 600g and 77mm filter. Absolute monster; dwarfs an
> OM bod. Should I risk the neck strain or not? Anyone experienced one
> of these?
> AndrewF

I got one a while back... the few test pictures I took with it turned out
OK, but I wasn't really checking anything but 'does this work?' with them.

I suspect that it is not as distortion-free as a prime in its focal length
range, but that's a common problem with zooms compounded in the wide-angle
range I think. There is no visible distortion in my 'test pics' but then the
subject (the alley behind casa Brokaw) wouldn't strongly test for it either.
Guess I need to find a handy brick wall... <g>

Most all of my early Series 1 lenses have excellent mechanical construction
(if a bit heavy) and seem to be good performers for their era... they might
be smaller and lighter if designed now with aspherical elements, etc. but
for when they originally came out they are equal to most major OEM's lenses
IMO.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...