Re: [OM] Panorama Shots (QTVR) using OM-system

Subject: Re: [OM] Panorama Shots (QTVR) using OM-system
From: Alexander Schrieken <alx@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 14:33:01 +0200
Cc: chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for into this!

> Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 08:04:33 -0400
> From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] Panorama Shots (QTVR) using OM-system
>
> EyeSee manual says:
>
> > you will be using macro close-up lenses (i.e.
> > 60mm Micro Nikkor) or wide-angle zoom lenses with
> > macro focus capabilty (9 - 18 inch distance) and
> > 2 - 3 inch depth-of-field.
>
> - -------------------------------------------
> For a depth of field of about 3" or more within
> the specified focusing range of 9-18"  use the
> following lenses at f/16:
>
> 50mm focused at 18"  focus range = 16.6 - 19.7"
> 35mm focused at 13"  focus range = 11.5 - 14.9"
> 28mm focused at 12"  focus range = 10.1 - 14.8"
> 24mm focused at 10"  focus range =  8.2 - 12.7"
>
> These calculations take into account the minimum
> focus distance of Olympus lenses of the specified
> focal length without use of extension tubes or
> close-up lenses.  The distances specified are
> close to the minimum for each lens.  If using
> other than Oly lenses check the minimum focus
> distance.

Yes, the DOF values of these lenses seem to be
adequate. The resulting image of the mirror on
the film wil be quite small however. (I haven't
been able to get it to cover more than about a
third of the highth of the film (24 mm).)

Since I need to 'unwarp' the image using special
software, the film needs to be scanned. Having
the mirror cover such a small erea causes a
significant loss of resolution... (At least when
scanning with an Epson 2400 PHOTO.)

> These DOF caculations assume you need 30
> lines/mm.  If you are making low res images for
> the web you can probably get away with less which
> would allow shooting at a larger aperture.
>
> For a free DOF calculator see the Picture Window
> web site at: <http://www.dl-c.com/Temp/> and
> click on the DOF calculator download.  The help
> file for this calculator also contains lots of
> information on film resolution and other helpful
> stuff.

Thanks! Very nice tool.

Regards,

Alexander