Re: [OM] Panorama Shots (QTVR) using OM-system

Subject: Re: [OM] Panorama Shots (QTVR) using OM-system
From: "Daniel Sepke" <fred42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:04:13 -0400
Hi there,

Fun product. Here is my reading of the instructions you have included.

The lens you need has to be a macro one (it has to focus on an object 9" away.
The 50mm f3.5 or 50mm f2 will focus this close. The next problem you have to
solve is the angle of view. I suspect the 50mm may be too wide from what they
are saying. They suggest a 60mm in the text below.

In your experiments so far has the 50mm you tried provided a full frame of the
two edges of the mirror? If so then you need to find one of the two lenses
above. You should also be able to work with a macro focusing short zoom lens.
That one would provide you with some scope to fine tune the angle of view
problem (assuming the zoom is macro capable across it range of focal lengths,
not all are).

The key is to be using a macro lens as I far as I can see you need to be
focusing on the mirror and not the reflection in mirror.

Hope this helps.

Dan.

***** What lenses and/or extension tubes would
give the best results? *****

Underneath is an excerpt from the EyeSee manual.
Note that the distance between subject and camera
must be between 9 and 18 inches. The required
depth of field is 2 to 3 inches.

> Although a wide range of cameras can be used
> with the SLR Bracket, in general you need to
> use a camera and lens combination that will
> allow you to fill the image frame with the
> mirror as much as possible. Additionally,
> you’ll need to use a camera/lens that can focus
> on the mirror with an adequate depth-of-field.
> Typically, this means you’ll be using macro
> close-up lenses (i.e. 60mm Micro Nikkor) or
> wide-angle zoom lenses with macro focus
> capabilty (9”-18” distance) and 2”-3” depth-of
> -field. The camera lens has to be able to focus
> on an object like a baseball so that all the
> stitching is clear, sharp and in focus.
>
> One thing to keep in mind when using the SLR
> Bracket is that the depth-of-field will
> increase as the distance between the camera and
> the mirror increases.

Hopefully someone on this list can point me in
the right direction. Any advice is welcome!

Regards,

Alexander
the Netherlands