[OM] Panorama Shots (QTVR) using OM-system

Subject: [OM] Panorama Shots (QTVR) using OM-system
From: Alexander Schrieken <alx@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 16:25:17 +0200
Hi Everybody,

Recently I got interested in the possibility of
creating Virtual Reality panorama's that can be
viewed on a computer using either Apple's (free)
QuickTime Player, or just plain Java (inside a
web browser). For samples, look here:

<http://homepage.mac.com/sander.schrieken/QTVR.html>

Rather than taking a series of photographs
covering the full 360 degrees of the panorama and
stiching those together using the appropriate
software, I decided to go with the EyeSee 360.
Essentially a parabolic mirror which reflects
everything surrounding the camera into the lens,
for a visual of the apparatus look here:

<http://www.kaidan.com/Detail.bok?no=101>

Since I am not yet ready to buy a new (digital)
camera I want to use this device with my OM-F
(OM-30) and zuiko lenses. Sadly however, my first
efforts haven't brought the desired results...

I've been experimenting with the 28 mm (f 3.5)
and the 50 mm (f 1.8) [using the highest possible
f-stops in order to maximize depth of field] to
try and maximize the image of the mirror on the
film. The bigger the image, the higher the
resolution -- especially after scanning.

I suspect that I haven't used the right lenses,
because the image of the mirror covers only one
third of the hight of the film...

***** What lenses and/or extension tubes would
give the best results? *****

Underneath is an excerpt from the EyeSee manual.
Note that the distance between subject and camera
must be between 9 and 18 inches. The required
depth of field is 2 to 3 inches.

> Although a wide range of cameras can be used
> with the SLR Bracket, in general you need to
> use a camera and lens combination that will
> allow you to fill the image frame with the
> mirror as much as possible. Additionally,
> you’ll need to use a camera/lens that can focus
> on the mirror with an adequate depth-of-field.
> Typically, this means you’ll be using macro
> close-up lenses (i.e. 60mm Micro Nikkor) or
> wide-angle zoom lenses with macro focus
> capabilty (9”-18” distance) and 2”-3” depth-of
> -field. The camera lens has to be able to focus
> on an object like a baseball so that all the
> stitching is clear, sharp and in focus.
>
> One thing to keep in mind when using the SLR
> Bracket is that the depth-of-field will
> increase as the distance between the camera and
> the mirror increases.

Hopefully someone on this list can point me in
the right direction. Any advice is welcome!

Regards,

Alexander
the Netherlands