Re: [OM] Panorama Shots (QTVR) using OM-system

Subject: Re: [OM] Panorama Shots (QTVR) using OM-system
From: Alexander Schrieken <alx@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 01:22:50 +0200
Cc: jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:22:39 -0700
> From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] Panorama Shots (QTVR) using OM-system
>
> on 9/22/03 8:04 AM, Daniel Sepke at
> fred42@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > The key is to be using a macro lens as I far as
> > I can see you need to be focusing on the mirror
> > and not the reflection in mirror.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > Dan.
>
> I think the 35-70/3.5-4.5 Zuiko would be about
> perfect for this application, as it focuses
> pretty close, although I don't understand why you
> need to focus close to use this device...?

Since I am using film and eventually need to
'unwarp' the image of the mirror with special
software to create the (QuickTime VR) panorama
scanning is required. When the mirror only fills
a small part of the film, the resolution after
scanning is just not high enough...

> I'm not sure why you would need to focus on the
> mirror (surface) and not on the virtual image in
> the mirror... Seems like if you take a
> 'self-portrait' in a flat mirror and check the
> focus distance it will be (approximately) twice
> the distance you are actually standing from the
> mirror. You are focusing on the 'virtual you'
> behind the mirror, a distance equal to the real
> distance you are in front of the mirror.

You have to focus on the mirror; all the
surroundings reflected in it are always sharp --
it's merely a reflection.

> Seems like the Kaidan curved conical mirror
> should work the same way... am I missing some
> physic/optics factor here? This does look
> interesting, I've viewed some of Skip William's
> VR panos and hope someday to get my fisheyes
> working so I can do it too.

Using fisheyes requires multiple shots and
stitching software, but would also produce nice
results.

Regards,

Alexander
the Netherlands