Re: [OM] New E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] New E-1
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:59:01 -0400
Some of you may recall that a few days ago I requested BD to measure the E-1's lens flange to sensor distance; the objective being to determine whether there really is enough room for an OM adapter that would not require an optical element in the path.

BD reported the measurements to me and said that I could pass them on to the list... as long as I emphasize that he has no measuring instrument more sophisticated than a ruler and that he's extremely nervous about poking things down around the sensor. So, consider these measurements as "quick and dirty".

With these caveats in mind, BD reports a measurement of 46.5mm for the inside diameter of the lens flange. Also with a ruler, I measure about 47mm for the OM flange. These are so close I wonder if perhaps they are the same but I would have to guess that they probably are not.

But the more interesting measure is that BD reports that the flange to sensor distance is about 37mm. Since the OM flange to film distance is 46mm there's approximately 9mm to play with for the thickness of an OM to 4/3 adapter. Even if these meaurements are off by a millimeter or two it's clear that there's plenty of mechanical room for an adapter and that no optical element is required.

This all lends credence to JH's discovery of what seems to be this adapter and also the guesstimated price of about $125. If it needed an optical element Oly wouldn't be selling it that low.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA