Re: [OM] New E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] New E-1
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:34:20 -0400
With respect to JH's discovery of an OM to 4/3 adapter Moose said:
"I thought it was already determined that a corrector lens would be required."
If that is so I don't think it was determined on this list. But now that you've brought the question up the man with the answer is now in our midst:

BD: What's the inside diameter of the 4/3 mount and what's the distance from lens flange to sensor? Is it less than the OM's 46.0 mm flange to film distance? Like maybe 4-6mm less to allow for an adapter without an optical element?

Here's a thought for an adapter with an optical element. Has anyone considered a focal reducer? I've never seen one for a camera lens. All we get are tele-extenders. But owners of Schmidt-Cassegrain telescopes from Celestron and Meade should be familiar with them. The Celestron focal reducer will take my 2000mm f/10 and turn it into a 1000mm f/5 with a reduced diameter image circle. How about an OM focal reducer that turns your 50mm f/1.8 into a 25mm f/0.9 and compresses all of the larger image circle onto your 4/3 sensor. OK, where's the catch?

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA