Re: [OM] New E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] New E-1
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:42:30 -0400
Julian said:
IIRC, Oly said that the lenses were designed to support a sensor of 11 -
12 Mp, which is the intended design limit of the system.

Not sure if Oly has said it but Kodak certainly has.  See:
<http://www.kodak.com/global/en/digital/ccd/sensorsMain.jhtml>
and click on "New 4/3-type standard" in the upper right hand corner.

That will take you to a PDF with a chart that clearly shows the resolution design limit for 4/3 lenses at 12 megapixels. While it doesn't say so, the curve extending from the current 5 megapixel sensor up to 12 megapixels I'm sure is intended to show the future development path for the 4/3 system.

Curiously, this curve has some discreet points plotted on it at 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 10 mp. After the 10 mp point the curve is dashed instead of solid. I can easily read design points into this that says the E-2 is 6 mp, the E-3 8 mp and the E-4 is 10 mp. And like the OM line, there won't be an E-5 with 12 mp which would stretch the theoretical limits of the lenses.

The chart also clearly shows that consumer grade DC's already have pixel sizes smaller than a 4/3 sensor with 12 megapixels. Therefore, the technical challenge isn't making small enough pixels but small enough pixels that also satisfy all the other system contraints.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA