Re: [OM] Shift lenses - was: Allow me to introduce myself...

Subject: Re: [OM] Shift lenses - was: Allow me to introduce myself...
From: Mike Ferguson <mikeferguson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 01:16:55 +0100
On 6/9/03 12:25 am, "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The idea behind shift lenses is to let you keep the film parallel to
> straight lines in the scene. Pine trees or buildings won't have their
> tops pointing together when you point the lens up. (Or similarly with
> horizontal lines when you point the lens to the side)

Many thanks Jeff, Piers and John - the whole shift lens thing makes a lot
more sense than it did.  But, invevitably, I have another question.

Am I right in thinking that what this lens lets you do is keep the camera
level while shifting (there's a clue...) the image that is transmitted to
the film plane - so, to use Jeff's example, you can point the camera at the
base of the trees and move the lens to see the tops?

OK, I typed that and then went to have a read of the page Piers
recommended...am now much wiser but, what the hell, will post anyway.
There's always more you can learn, right?

Mike