Re: [OM] Shift lenses - was: Allow me to introduce myself...

Subject: Re: [OM] Shift lenses - was: Allow me to introduce myself...
From: "John Hudson" <13874@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 20:07:09 -0300
Cc: <mikeferguson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Ferguson" <mikeferguson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, 05 September, 2003 07:46 PM

> On 5/9/03 10:56 pm, "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Immediately after you buy one of
> > those the 35/2.8 shift
>
> OK, guys,
>
> Just an hour or two after my post and I'm getting a lot of great ideas,
and
> a longer post in response to those is coming...
>
> But I do have a burning question.  Can someone explain this shift lenses
> thing to me.  I would hate to consider myself a stupid man (:-)) but I'm
> just not getting it.
>
> So, from first principles, if you would - a lens that (from what I can
tell)
> shifts up and down on its mounting - for why?

In a 35mm shift lens, the front lens element can move up and down, and side
to side relative to the rear lens element. When using a non-shift lens with
the lens axis pointing upwards parallel lines, such as the sides of a tall
building, they will appear to converge. By "shifting" the front lens
element, those converging verticals can be made to appear perfectly parallel
in the final photograph.

A step beyond shift lenses are the lenses in view cameras where the lens
board and the film plane board can be moved independently of each other to
achieve even more spectacular results.

HTH

jh