Re: [OM] Shift lenses - was: Allow me to introduce myself...

Subject: Re: [OM] Shift lenses - was: Allow me to introduce myself...
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 16:25:09 -0700
The idea behind shift lenses is to let you keep the film parallel to
straight lines in the scene. Pine trees or buildings won't have their
tops pointing together when you point the lens up. (Or similarly with
horizontal lines when you point the lens to the side)

They give you the choice. Think of how a building looks when you take a
picture with a wide angle pointing up versus using a telephoto pointing
nearly horizontal. The shift lens can give you either effect on straight
lines.They let you change the relative sizes/placement of the edges of
the photo with respect to the center of the photo and can make a photo
look like you are standing in the center when you are really standing at
the side to avoid something you don't want in the picture. Probably
harder to visualize, extreme shift causes "distortion" similar to what
you see at the edges of super wide angle lenses. Sometimes you want it,
sometimes you don't.

As Jan implied about his recent trip, they are very handy when you want
steep canyon walls to look like steep canyon walls.

-jeff