Re: [OM] Be afraid. Be very afraid

Subject: Re: [OM] Be afraid. Be very afraid
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 09:48:40 -0700 (PDT)
He, she, or it met her demise beween a window pane and a screen.  So there
was some dust, and perhaps some of the hairs had broken off in her final
struggle.

I used a piece of double-sided scotch tape to affix her to a piece of 3x5
card.  The "focusing stage" was created by placing the card on top of a
Leica rear lens cap (OT) and placing that on top of a stack of 3x5 cards
to achieve the correct height.

Circular image?  Yes, with the 28/2.8 Zuiko the corners are cut off, plus
a bit on each side of the frame the long way. You can see it better in
the following image. But note that this image is cropped evenly on each
side to remove as much of the vignetting as possible.  The camera frame is
4:3, so if you imaging the picture extended horizontally to make that
ratio, you'll get an idea of how much vignetting is involved.

http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/bugs/Jaws6233.htm

It's a small price to pay for the amount of magnification I get from
something I already had on hand.  There is an Austrian add-on lens for the
28mm Coolpixes that gives this much magnification, but it costs over
$400.00!

The 28/2.8 Zuiko gives me about 8mm across the frame the long way, with
vignetting.  The other lens I use as a close-up lens is a Leica
rangefinder 35/2 Summicron.  This lens gives little or no vignetting,
perhaps because of the wider aperture, and the fact that it is not a
retrofocus lens and has a rear element almost as wide as the front.
Somewhat less magnification, though--the frame is 11mm across the long
way.

http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/bugs/Bug1cm6219.jpg

--Peter