Re: [OM] ( OM ) Query on how to get a better image

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Query on how to get a better image
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 08:30:54 -0600
At 12:36 PM 7/28/2003 +1200, Brian Swale wrote:

[snip]

I've just made my first CDROM stick-on label and I'm not happy with the
results

[snip]

The UBIX photocopier laboratory used a Konica (that's the in-house UBIX
copier brand) to produce the printed label.

What I noticed immediately was severe pixelation in the colour photocopier
image on the stick-on label

[snip]

To my surprise I have not been able to reproduce the pixelation that I find so
offensive, including the pixelation of the text.

My suspicions comprise two possibilities:

1. The lab's printer has grossly inferior interpolation software for the final ripping of the image; I used to work in DTP (that's Desktop Publishing Program for you tyros) for a living, and the printer's software (or the software of the DT program, if that program was controlling the printer directly) made a huge difference, almost regardless of the quality of the digital image. Either that, or the lab personnel in question never bothered to make a test run and adjust as required. Good RIP software can do wonders with printing, even with a relatively low-quality JPEG.

2. The actual JPEG image on your Web page that was used to make the label, although almost the same file size as the BMP it was derived from, appears to have much less "visually relevant" image info in it (lots of data but little information, if you get my drift). I confirmed this by taking the original image (the BMP) and converting it into a JPEG in Photoshop, and then comparing the JPEG from your Web page directly with the JPEG I created from the BMP. My JPEG is visually richer, and compares favourably with the original BMP, even though it's only one-fifth the file size of the JPEG on your Web page.

3. (I didn't mention this above). It's a combination of the two problems stated above.

Hope this helps.

Garth