[OM] ( OM ) Query on how to get a better image

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Query on how to get a better image
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:36:22 +1200
Query on how to get a better image for a stick-on CDROM label.

Hi folks,

I've just made my first CDROM stick-on label and I'm not happy with the
results

See http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/Cdrom/

There is the original scan produced (see the first page) as follows:

Photographed on transparency
Transparency scanned and printed as a 4 x 6 inch glossy print
Print scanned using a KTX 4800AP flatbed scanner at 400 dpi under the
control of the program CDLaboratory and saved as a BMP image.

143kb (I had eventually to upload a jpeg copy as the 563 kb BMP image
persistently wouldn't up/down-load accurately).

I took this image and used a variety of Adobe Photoshop to add the text as a
separate layer, saving it again as a bmp image.

Then, below, it is as submitted to the UBIX photocopier laboratory

They used the NERO cdburner program to slightly resize it and fit it to the
particular Avery stick-on label page they use.

Note that there is little pixelation in the jpeg/bmp and the added text has
clear borders.

Use your browser to magnify the image 300% to bring it up to about the size
of the label print.
The UBIX photocopier laboratory used a Konica (that's the in-house UBIX
copier brand) to produce the printed label.

What I noticed immediately was severe pixelation in the colour photocopier
image on the stick-on label

To get this image I scanned the Konica print at 400 dpi and saved it as a
JPEG, which I resized to bring the file size down from 702 kb to 502 kb.

You may need to bring the browser image down to 30%.
To my surprise I have not been able to reproduce the pixelation that I find so
offensive, including the pixelation of the text.

None of these images have been sharpened.

One alternative that has been suggested to me by my computer-
maintenance guy, is to use a colour printer that is able to print directly on
the CDROM top surface.

Comment and specifics on this will be much appreciated.

PS; don't feel you NEED to look at these images; if you ALL download them
my ISP bill will be through the roof. They are nothing remarkable.

Taken with an OM - forget for now which one, and probably a 50 mm lens.
Took about 15 minutes stooped over the frond to get the shot with a fitful
wind blowing and couldn't use a tripod due to site limitations.

Cheers, Brian