re: [OM] M.15 replacement battery choices

Subject: re: [OM] M.15 replacement battery choices
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 20:12:30 -0400
Doug asked:
It seems as if I will soon get the opportunity to replace the cells in an M.15 pack... Would I be better served to replace the old cells with matching 12 x 1/3AA Ni-Cad cells..., or 14 x 1/3AAA NiMH cells. I don't use the motor drive every day by any means so the lack of "memory effect" in the NiMH might be the NiMH's greatest asset.
I can't address the M.15 pack but I will relay what may be a pertinent tale. I have a refurb'ed 2mp Nikon digital that I bought for a good price from B&H. It's only use is web shots and a bit of miscellany including some sporadic macro at which it does very well.

It requires 4 AA cells so when I bought it I also bought 8 high capacity NiMH cells and a charger. As it turns out I typically only use this camera once every month or two. The largest number of shots I've ever taken at one clip was about 60 with some flash use. No indication at all that the batteries were in any way depleted.

On the other hand, given the reputaton of NiMH cells for self- discharching, when I haven't used the camera in a month or two I don't dare take it out without recharging. And, of course, the spare set isn't of any use either as they've been self-discharging too. And each set seems to need 2-3 hours of charging time. Needless to say I can't simply grab this camera and take it away from the house unless I put in some alkalines.

I'm reminded of the days before I joined this list and was using alkaline batteries in my OM-2sp instead of silver oxide. If I put the camera away for a month the batteries would be dead when I picked it up again. Now it's the Nikon digital but it's the batteries which are killing themselves instead of the camera killing the batteries.

The moral of the story is: If you expect only occasional use you might be better off with Ni-Cad. I think the newer cells don't have much of a memory effect. Also, the charger that I bought for the NiMH has a conditioning mode (discharge, recharge) specifically for use with Ni-Cad's to avoid the memory problem.

I may go out and buy some Ni-Cad's myself now that I think about it. I'm getting tired of charging up these NiMH's every time I want to use the camera.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA