Re: [OM] M.15 replacement battery choices

Subject: Re: [OM] M.15 replacement battery choices
From: "Julian Davies" <julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 22:04:51 +0100
Axess international (sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx), can supply a perfect
replacement (250mAh NiCd) as drawing number SP2470. This will take about 4
weeks to deliver, but comes out at GBP23.45 plus VAT (EU sales only) and
carriage
Alternatively, 13 250mAh NiMh 1/3AA will fit nicely.
The peak current in the pack is not very high. I've not measured it, but
when you get it open and have a look at the gauge of wire they used.....

FWIW, I rebuilt two, one with the custom pack above and one with 13 NiMh. I
charged them both to capacity on the same day in early May. They have both
been sitting there getting sporadic (and roughly equal) testing with no
recharges.
Both are giving constant LED indication (when asked to!)
The NiMh gives a slightly faster wind on an unloaded OM2SP. Since they
started out much the same, I can only think this means it is holding charge
slightly better. Given the horror stories of 50 0ischarge per month for
NiMh, I expected this to be the other way round, but it has the advantage of
an extra 1.4V open circuit.
Obviously, I can't speak of overall life until one (or both) die, but  NiCds
in general have had a longer period to prove themselves.
Modern NiCds are supposed not to have a memory effect to speak of.

In other words, toss a coin, or just decide whether you like soldering or
not.

Julian