[OM] Film scanner recommendations

Subject: [OM] Film scanner recommendations
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 17:25:37 -0300
I'm starting to look into buying a new film scanner. Currently, I'm using a
Canon FS2710 which I'm finding is pretty decent but I'm finding I'd like to
have something better. In particular, something with a greater dynamic range
for pulling out shadow detail would be really nice. Single-pass
multi-sampling would also be very handy. And finally, some ability to batch
scan would be REALLY useful. I do shoot some medium format and 4x5 but I'm
thinking of going for a dedicated 35mm scanner and then adding a good
flatbed in the future for scanning larger formats.

In terms of batch scanning, this would mostly be for mounted slides but the
ability to batch scan cut strips of negs (4-6 frames) and or uncut film
strips (planning to start doing my own processing for B&W) would be useful
as well.

In terms of OS and Interface, I'm currently using MacOS 9 and want to use
firewire for the interface. I may be going to OS X in the near future
though.

I also use Vuescan for scanning right now and would like to be able to
continue using it.

Mostly I'm leaning towards the Nikon LS-4000 because I can get the slide
loader and uncut film strip adapters for bulk scanning. Just wondering if
there is a better solution given what I've outlined above?

Andrew "frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.tildefrugal.net/