Re: [OM] Film scanner recommendations

Subject: Re: [OM] Film scanner recommendations
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 18:26:13 -0300
Hi Chris,

Yes, the price is definitely the big downside to the Nikon. I'm taking a
look at the Minolta Dimage 5400 now as I wasn't too familiar with it's
features. Going by it's specs, it looks like it offers higher resolution and
a greater dynamic range than the Nikon (although I'm now going to try to
find a side-by-side comparison the 2). The main thing it seems to lack is
the bulk scanning options that the Nikon offers (albeit with extra costly
accesories). Minolta's website does mention batch scanning but doesn't
really say how many frames or slides you can scan in a batch. All they say
is:

"The Batch Scan Utility allows large volumes of film to be scanned without
having to make individual settings for each image; simply press the scan
button to activate the utility for each batch of film."

I think I'm going to have to do some more research into how their batch
scanning works and if their claims are backed up by other people. If so, it
may be a winner for what I'm looking for. The only other thing it lacks at
the moment is support within Vuescan but I suspect that will not take long
to happen as Ed Hamrick is usually very quick about adding scanners. I
really like the control I can get with Vuescan (especially with scanning
B&W, I just output the raw CCD data and adjust the tones myself, hard to do
with the scanner's software). It's also handy in that it's a stand-alone
program so you can still work with other images in photoshop at the same
time.

Andrew "frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.tildefrugal.net/