Re: [OM] would an "equipment exchange" work on the OM list?

Subject: Re: [OM] would an "equipment exchange" work on the OM list?
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <omlist@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 13:30:24 +0200
The problem basically being distance, with shipping and (risk of)
customs/tolls/duties making this a cumbersome affair, if done
internationally. In principle, though, it is a good idea and I would
not be scared to participate in such, however among local
zuikoholics.

However, there is a risk. I lent a 200/4 and a 35-70/3.6 to someone,
who then proceeded to break the 200/4 in two (!!!) (thanks Clint for
helping me fix that) and scratch the front element of the 35-70/3.6.
Most annoying (I had to push to have him either fix or purchase the
35-70/3.6, and the 200/4, well, responsability for its mysterious
breaking in half was denied).

No, not a listee, and I've learned my lesson now....

--thomas

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 09:14:08 -0400
"Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm game, although after the move.  I'd put a half dozen or more
> things into the pot. Heck, I almost always have two or three out at
> any given time anyway.
>
> There would be a few things that might be 'off-limits', because I
> wouldn't be willing to lose them (90/2), but mostly everything else
> would be fair game.
>
> Tom
>
> > one of the websites i visit has been doing a "passaround" lately,
> something
> > that came across as a brilliant idea. in a nutshell, people put
> > up a piece of equipment to swap around. say i have a hot new
> > commodity, and put it
> up.
> > first 5 or so responses are "in" and each person has it for a
> > week, passes it to the next, etc. wider exposure to the item at
> > hand in a closely defined group, esp to those that haven't seen
> > or used it before.

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering