Re: [OM] would an "equipment exchange" work on the OM list?

Subject: Re: [OM] would an "equipment exchange" work on the OM list?
From: "RickM" <zuiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 12:25:37 -0700
Siddiq, what items are the "website" passing around, and how is it working
for them?  Are they an international group or just based in one
country/continent?  I have this mental image of sending something to oz,
from there it goes to taiwan, then the uk, then....

I like the concept, i'm just concerned about the practicality, and have the
same concerns as Walt and for the same reasons/experiences...  plus, i don't
think i would feel comfortable being responsible for someone else's
equipment if it were hard to replace or expensive...  i would feel obligated
to replace it if something did get lost or damaged, whether it be in
transit, fire, earthquake, car accident, significant other getting pi**ed
and tossing all camera gear out window, etc., etc...

This is just a thought that came up as i was typing the above, and I don't
know if it would work or not, but one alternative approach might be that we
loan/contribute items to build a decent kit of the non-exotic items, kept at
a central point...  have a list on the web of what there is and who
currently has it... people could request something to try it out... i
suppose there could be a nominal charge on top of shipping for borrowing
items so that, if something does need to be replaced, it could be...   the
obvious person to volounteer for this would be Tom, as he seems to be doing
it in a sense already, has that type of website, and has plenty of free time
on his hands these days... ;)

Looking around i have duplicate or supplanted lenses sitting around that i'm
not using, on the level of the 35~105, 85/2, 35~70/4, OM2n etc., that i
wouldn't want to lose or get banged up, but aren't hard to replace, and
there's not much point them just sitting around here either...

Just my halfpenny's worth...

RickM