Re: [OM] Which OM is best for astrophotography

Subject: Re: [OM] Which OM is best for astrophotography
From: "Gareth.J.Martin" <g.j.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:20:56 +0100
Actually one thing I forgot to mention is that a mirror lock up is very useful when performing eyepiece projection or prime focus photography and that is vibration. The movement of the mirror can send vibrations through a telescope which can take up to 3 seconds to die down (on a really poorly damped scope). It is obvious how this can cause problems, especially with high magnification images. One way of overcoming it without using a mirror lock up is the hat method (or a bit of black card!). Seems to have worked well for me every time. The only problem I can think of with using a mirror lock up is that when you activate the lock up you could knock the scope off the object you are tracking and not know about it until the exposures are developed. I suppose an off axis guider would help here, but that's more expense!!!

All the best,
Gareth.

--

Gareth.J.Martin

Research Postgraduate
School of Geographical Sciences
University of Bristol
University Road
Bristol BS8 1SS

g.j.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
attackwarningred@xxxxxxxxxxx
eclipsing.binary@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

NE NLCOG - The amateur NLC observing group:
http://freespace.virgin.net/eclipsing.binary

"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible."

Arthur C. Clarke's Second Law.

"There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum."

Arthur C. Clarke