Re: My XA review: was Re: [OM] oly point and shoot

Subject: Re: My XA review: was Re: [OM] oly point and shoot
From: "Daniel Mitchell" <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 15:55:53 -0600
> Yeah, at the time of release, it probably decided on 4 seconds for
> example.  When you moved, it coincided with the time-out.

 I just did some more tests, and I'm pretty sure it _does_ measure light at
exposure time; repro:

 1. In a lit area (indoors, but lots of windows, so it's shooting at around
1/60th normally), hold cushion over front of XA to stop light getting in
there, hand over viewfinder rear of viewfinder just to make sure no light is
getting that way.

 2. Press shutter release.

 3. Wait one second, remove cushion; shutter clicks immediately.

 4. Try same thing again, but this time wait 8 seconds, then remove
cushion -- shutter clicks immediately.

 Unless the cushion somehow became 8 times as opaque in the second test,
it's got to be measuring light while it exposes the film.. I think when
you're testing it, the flash is confusing things.

 -- dan