Re: My XA review: was Re: [OM] oly point and shoot

Subject: Re: My XA review: was Re: [OM] oly point and shoot
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 20:06:27 -0500
The XA has two CdS cells, one which controls only the meter needle, the other
controlling only the exposure circuit.  Hence there is no need for the camera to
memorize the exposure -- as soon as the cell controlling the exposure has
received the amount of light deemed appropriate, it closes the shutter, from
1/500th second to about 10 seconds.  If the light varies while the shutter is
open, the exposure will be affected accordingly.

When set on the "Flash" setting, the shutter duration is limited to 1/500th to
1/30th second.

If the aperture slide is moved off the "Flash" setting with a flash attached,
however, the shutter may stay open for up to the maximum 10 second duration,
depending on ambient light.  Since the CdS cell cannot react to light quickly
enough (nor could the shutter close quickly enough), the camera operates as if
there were no flash at all, resulting in "ghost" images where the light from the
flash creates one image and a blurry image recorded as the shutter stays open
capturing ambient light.