Re: [OM] plain OM4 questions

Subject: Re: [OM] plain OM4 questions
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 23:25:11 -0700
Well, you've heard Tom's negative experience as a trader and Walt's and other's comments as long time owners.

You might ask what kind of batteries the prior owner was using. Many people use alkaline or lithium batteries based on spurious advice from sales people or innacurate replacement lists, and any OM from the 2 on up will indeed eat these like popcorn, but not because of a flaw in the camera, but because they are using batteries that aren't even supposed to work in the camera. Also, anyone who leaves a flash on the camera and turned on for long period of time will get short battery life. This is true of the 4T(i), too.

I have bought 'parts' cameras whose only fault was the wrong battery type. After relatively limited use, they still have enough voltage to show as good when the test mode on the camera is activated, but can't produce enough current to hold the second shutter magnet open. The cameras all respond to this condition by locking with the mirror up to warn of low battery. People get confused between the light saying the battery is good and the camera locking up, often apparently randomly, as the batteries may recover over time, and decide the camera is broken.

The only operational difference between the 4 and the 4T(i), other than lower battery drain, is the ability to work with the F280 flash in Super FP mode.

Moose

Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:

I have the opportunity to buy en Exc. OM4 non-T; non-Ti
I've been told it drains batteries as if it was a vacuum cleaner, even
turned off and not in use.
Which other disadvantages should I expect?
Which is its U.S.-reasonable price?
Is it possible to relate its serial number to circuit board type?
Is it possible to upgrade circuit board at an uruguayan-reasonable cost?
Which cost at an U.S.-reasonable standard?

Really I don't care about titanium top and bottom plates, but about other
changes. I was a victim of the plain 2 to 2N upgrade.