Re: [OM] plain OM4 questions

Subject: Re: [OM] plain OM4 questions
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 08:59:50 -0600
At 10:42 AM 6/15/2003 -0400, Tom Scales wrote:
Fernando,

Put fresh batteries in it and turn it onto battery test.  It should start a
continous beep.  Count off about 40 seconds. If the beeping STOPS, then it
has the 4T circuit and it is worth buying.  Fixes the battery drain.

If it doesn't stop, personally, I'd pass.

Well, I *hate* to disagree with Tom (whose opinion I respect enormously), but in this case, I must needs do so. I own an OM-4, which I bought during its first year of manufacture (mid-80s). It's still going strong after all these years, I've never noticed a "battery drain" problem (though I'm sure it drains 'em faster than a 4-Ti, but then, taking them out if you're planning on storing the body for awhile is a good idea anyways), and takes well-exposed pictures. Last time I used it was last November (been too busy with non-photography life), but I exposed twenty rolls of Provia in New Mexico, it was my only camera body, and it performed flawlessly.

I think the OM-4 has an undeservedly bad rep. If you get a good price for it, buy it. If you don't want it and the price is good, consider hooking me up. 8^>

Garth